Bahadur Shah Park
Bahadur Shah Park, located in Dhaka, Bangladesh, is a striking war memorial set amidst the splendor of nature. It was built in 1858 at the initiative of Nawab Khwaja Abdul Ghani, in the Sadarghat area. It was called Victoria Park until 1947. After that, it was renamed after Bahadur Shah II, the last Mughal emperor.
In the late-nineteenth century Bahadur Shah Park was the centre of Bahadur Shah Park2Dhaka with European style architecture with several civic and religious buildings and educational institutions around it. During the eighteenth century, the European started a club for them. They used to play different games, among other games, billiard, and hence the premise was called ‘Anta Gharer Maidan’ . The English later demolished it and created a round-about park facing the St Thomas church. The club was shifted elsewhere which later became the famous Dhaka club. The park became a major node in the road network of old Dhaka. At that time, it had all important buildings and establishments around it, many of which are gone now. It is where the mutineers of the failed 1857 Revolt (‘Sipahi mutiny for freedom fight’) were publicly executed by hanging. It was also the scene from where accession by Queen Victoria and India was announced amidst much fanfare in 1858, and hence the original name of ‘Victoria Park’ bestowed. An obelisk to commemorate an official was also erected there. After Partition, the historically more important monument symbolising this place was erected on the Centenary of Sepoy Revolt, and the park was renamed ‘Bahadur Shah Park’.
In a stone throw distance around the park, important institutional buildings such as court, Bank, DC’s office and Jagannath college which is now a public university are situated.