Sandwip (Bengali: সন্দ্বীপ) is an island along the south eastern coast of Bangladesh in the Chittagong District. Also spelled Sandvip, the transliteration of the name would in fact be Shondip. It is part of the sub-district of Sandwip Upazila
t is at the estuary of the Meghna River on the Bay of Bengal and separated from the Chittagong coast by Sandwip Channel. It has a population of nearly 350,000. There are fifteen wards, 62 mahallas and 34 villages on Sandwip Island. The island is 50 kilometers long and 5-15 kilometers wide. It is at the north-east side of the Bay of Bengal, near the main port city of Chittagong. It is bounded by Companiganj on the north, Bay of Bengal on the south, Sitakunda and Mirsharai, and Sandwip Channel on the east, Noakhali Sadar, Hatiya and Meghna estuary on the west.
Sandwip in the map of delta of Ganges by surveyor James Rennell created in 1778
Sandwip Island in Bangladesh has a great historical legacy. The island itself is about 3000 years old and it has been ruled by many different people over the centuries, including Delwar Khan. It was a Portuguese and Arakanese pirate stronghold during the 17th century and even today some of the architecture on the island reflects this part of the island’s history. Arakanese back than used to rule part of Burma (Myanmar), Chittagong including Sandwip. Sultan Delwar Khan was the appointed Sultan in Sandwip by Arakanese leader back then. Sultan Delwar Khan was attached in 17th century by Mughal Emperor Awrangojeb. Sultan Delwar Khan was arrested and was taken to prison in current Dhaka. Sultan Delwar died while in prison. However, the governor of Bengal saw fit to put an end to this in 1665 as part of attempts to restore order there. Under British rule its location proved to be a bit of an administrative problem. Today it is well and truly a part of Bangladesh. It is supposed that Sandwip was connected with Chittagong original land and disconnected by natural disasters.
Tansi reported on Lower Gangas (150) in which he included Sandwip. Sandwip is mentioned at The Baros Map (1560). Cesar Fredarich visited in Sandwip in 1565 and noted it as old island. Parcuch described 300-year-old mosque in this area (1620). Sanchan the Abevel mentioned Sandwip in his drawing map and he also mentioned Vulua, Bengal, Chattagram and Dhaka with it. Sri Rajkumar Chakrabarty mentioned in his History of Sandwip about 400 or 500 years old plants (1923). It is also found in The Anvel Curt’s drawing map (1752).